Monday, April 4, 2011

Great New Picture Books

Well, Who Stole the Mona Lisa is fairly new (2010) and Do Re Mi: If You Can Read Music, Thank Guido d'Arezzo is from 2006, but new to me!

Do Re Mi: If You Can Read Music, Thank Guido D'ArezzoWho Stole Mona Lisa? These were both great picture books and we learned so much. I love picture books about real events and people. The girls absolutely loved the one about the Mona Lisa. They really enjoy anything about artists and know quite a bit about da Vinci.

The Do Re Mi book was fascinating. I had never even thought about how musical notation began. The girls were also intrigued by the collage illustrations. My 7 yo commented on how the Title Page looked like paper and I explained about collage. I had to explain how the illustrator has the original and then it is copied for the book. Maybe I should look for some books and cd's of Gregorian chant. This book is a nice introduction to musical notation and chant.

No comments:

Post a Comment