Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's with de Paola

Happy St. Patrick's day! I started with a quick trip to the store to buy Corned Beef and Irish Soda Bread for dinner. I also bought some green iced sugar cookies for dessert, which the girls will love. Then we read several books from one of our favorite Children's illustrator/author, Tomie de Paola. I guess some people aren't fans of his art, but I love it's folkart quality. We also love his Irish tales of Jamie O'Rourke and Fin M'Coul.
Patrick: Patron Saint of IrelandJamie O'Rourke and the Big PotatoFin M'Coul: The Giant of Knockmany HillJamie O'Rourke and the Pooka (Picture Puffins)
I also read the St. Patrick biography by Ann Tompert.
Saint Patrick
That's the most picture books I've read in one day in a while. The girls enjoyed coloring a St. Patrick coloring page while I read and the two youngest just played on the floor. Overall, it went pretty well. Then we started on our artwork and had fun doing some drip painting. I'll post all about that next! Bye.

1 comment:

  1. Bethany, we just love Tomie de Paola's books! We think the illustrations are beautiful. We have the St Patrick's book and I meant to have read it to my girls yesterday for the feast day, but somehow we never did. But it's not too late. I'm off to find the book right now!

    ReplyDelete